Catholic Foundation’s mandate since 2015 is to be the fundraising arm of the Catholic Archdiocese of Singapore.
In line with this mandate, it provides block funding to the Titular Roman Catholic Archbishop of Singapore (TRCAS), supporting only approved initiatives of the archbishop that are aligned to the vision of the archdiocese to build a vibrant, evangelising and missionary Church.
Examples of causes funded by Catholic Foundation
- Operations of key Catholic organisations that are responsible for evangelisation efforts and formation of the Catholic community, such as the Archdiocesan Commission for Catholic Schools (ACCS), the Archdiocesan Commission for the Family (ACF), the Catholic Theological Institute of Singapore (CTIS), the Office for Catechesis (OFC), the Office for the New Evangelisation (ONE) and the Office for Young People (OYP)
- Initiatives that promote and support the vision of the archdiocese such as the Catholic Leadership Centre (CLC), Catholic Preschool Education Singapore (CPES), Digitisation of the Church, Strategic Planning and Communion, and the Catholic archdiocese’s 200th anniversary celebrations
- Scholarships to support the building of the human and organisational capacity of the Church in Singapore
- Clergy welfare and retirement for our elderly shepherds
- Major building projects such as Bethany East, St Francis Xavier Seminary Building and the Catholic Hub
- Sinking funds for the future lease renewals and building renovations of parishes and the archdiocese’s properties
Causes which Catholic Foundation would generally not fund
- Religious congregations
- Social mission organisations such as Caritas Singapore, CHARIS and their affiliates
- Parish operations and projects
After Catholic Foundation was established in 2012, it made its first call to select archdiocesan organisations for grants in 2013. In 2014, the Catholic Foundation’s second full year of operations, it disbursed a sum of $453,870 in grants.
Since then, grant disbursements have been increasing in line with the rising needs of the Church.
Find out more about grant disbursements in Catholic Foundation’s annual reports.
|CATHOLIC FOUNDATION GRANT DISBURSEMENTS
* Figure for 18-month period from 1 Oct 2016 to 31 Mar 2018, due to change in financial year-end.
Accountability of Funds
CATHOLIC FOUNDATION IS SET UP AS A COMPANY LIMITED BY GUARANTEE (CLG) AND A REGISTERED CHARITY IN SINGAPORE (UEN NO: 201231391K).
- Any activity or fundraising effort by Catholic Foundation follows all guidelines and regulations spelt out in the Charities Act.
- Catholic Foundation is answerable to the Commissioner of Charities.
CATHOLIC FOUNDATION IS GOVERNED BY A BOARD OF DIRECTORS APPOINTED BY THE ARCHBISHOP.
The board consists of leadership priests, as well as professionals with relevant backgrounds such as accounting, legal, and corporate governance.
CATHOLIC FOUNDATION IS TRANSPARENT.
Information of how money is raised and used can be found in Catholic Foundation’s annual reports and communications with donors.
CATHOLIC FOUNDATION IS AUDITED.
The financial statements, as well as accounting and control processes of the Catholic Foundation, are audited by an independent auditor, Deloitte & Touche.